Sunday, December 9, 2007

Easy Candle Project


Hi everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post but I've been busy making a bunch of gifts and haven't had time to post. One of the gifts I made was this candle. This is a project that may be familiar to a lot of you but I had never done it before. My wonderful SU upline, co-worker, and friend Julie Campbell did this project at a party a long time ago and explained the steps to me the other day so I thought I would give it a try. It was sooooo easy I was amazed! And it looks so professional and cost pennies!

In case you are unfamiliar with the steps I'll go over them. First you stamp a piece of regular white tissue paper with an image. With this candle I colored the image in with chalk (the picture is a little washed out from the flash but IRL the colors show up much better) or you can stamp your image with colored ink. Cut it out but you don't have to be perfect and cut close to the image or anything. Lay it on your candle and then lay a large piece of wax paper over the image and pull it tight around the back of the candle making sure it is flat and tight. Using an embossing gun, heat up the image until you can see the wax on the paper melt. Stop heating and let it cool for maybe 5 seconds. Release the wax paper and carefully peel it off. The image is now embedded into the candle under a layer of wax from the paper. Any excess wax or paper on the top or bottom edges can be carefully trimmed off with a craft knife. Then just decorate with ribbons, crystal brads, etc. Since I already had all of the other supplies on hand, this project only cost me $2.80 for the candle at Wal-Mart. Give it a try, it's great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas cards are really outstanding!!!

Merry Christmas