Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dinosaur Birthday


I know it's Christmas time and therefore time for Christmas cards, however, my son's birthday is this week and I try my best not to let Christmas festivities interfere with that. So I stopped making Christmas cards for a bit to make my son this birthday card. I know what it's like to have a birthday near Christmas and I always felt a little jipped because I had to go the whole rest of the year without presents. So I try to make my son's birthday extra special. On a funny side note, we have been telling our kids (as most parents do this time of year) that they need to be good or Santa won't bring them anything for Christmas. My son has apparently been giving this a lot of thought because he came to me the other day and said "Mommy, I've been thinking. Maybe if I get everything I want for my birthday then I won't have worry about being good and not getting presents from Santa." Very clever of him I thought. But I told him that's not how he should be looking at it. Nice try though! :)

Anyway, to the card. My son loves dinosaurs! When I say love I mean totally and completely 100% infatuated with them. My son has savant-like abilities when it comes to dinosaurs. He started memorizing their names at the age of 3. And I don't mean easy ones like T-rex or triceratops. I mean like Euplocephalus and Brachiosaurus. By now he must know at least 50 different ones and all the facts concerning them like what they ate, what time period they lived in, etc. He started reading in Kindergarten like most kids but once he learned a few words it just took off for him and by the end of Kindergarten was tested for reading at a 2nd-3rd grade level. And all he wanted to read were text book-like books about dinosaurs so that's were he learned it all from. He of course says that he wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up. So anyway, it was easy for me to decide what to put on his birthday card...a dinosaur of course! The cardstock and markers are from, where else, SU. The stamp set is from MFT. I used my cuttlebug to emboss the squares (If only I had the embossing folder that looked like alligator skin!--That would have been perfect! Something for me to think about for his birthday card for next year.) The Happy Birthday sentiment fit perfectly in my SU word window punch. I think my son will like it a lot.

No comments: